Sunday, July 30, 2006

Roughly 17 hours

I slept a lot today. Didn't do any riding...oops should have as I already had 7.5 hours at least for the weekend from Friday and Saturday's ride.

My first time out at the Doc Ride on Saturday's went quite well. I ran into my teammate Rita, cat 3, in Wales and we met Jimmy Winters there as well. Together we warmed up and headed to the Doc ride. It was just great, I had 7 teammates there all told. Oh and by Doc Ride, I really mean "group race." Teammates: Johnny, Rick, Barry, Russ, Mark, Jeff, Rita, and Jimmy. As it turned out we did a lot of the pace making at the front too haha. Peloton was pretty sluggish off the bat but I nailed the 2nd intermediate sprint and almost nailed the third one but my lead-out train came up short (wasn't really comprised of teammates, oh well). The 2nd sprint was really a short break up a short power climb led by Johnny and then the Doc and myself. I just pedaled past Johnny and grinned. He said if anyone beat him up to the stop-ahead sign it'd better be me.

one of the guys I ride with is Bill Ochowicz, his brother founded the 7-eleven team here in WI and I'm pretty sure is heavily involved in the Phonak team (eesh) He's quite fast and every ride thus far has beaten me in the final sprint into dousman. It's a great finishing straight, a few rollers through forest a right then a downhill to a left and then flat pine-lined for 3/8 of a mile into the 25mph reduced speed ahead sign. That's the finish. I've jokingly told him that beating him in the sprint would top all of my superweek accomplishments and I finally did. about 2k from the finish I was sitting about 8 wheel two back from Bill. John Van Susteren was going to give me a leadout so he was farther up but an Endeavor guy whose name escapes me was sitting on Bill's wheel and would not give it up. It was frustrating to say the least especially when we rounded the final bend. I was about 8th still and the horses at the front had pulled off to stay out of the sprint. Johnny was bringing it up to mach and it was 1 guy and then Bill in 3rd wheel. the Endeavor guy SAT UP and I was flabbergasted. Yes I know this is a group ride, but seriously... none the less I got around and bridged up just as John was pulling off. I nipped by the stranger and got bill by a length by the sign. And that was that...

I was only joking when I was telling Finn maybe I'll be 2 by the end of summer, but I'm starting to think about it. WIth one top ten and two wins I've got 14 points of 25 for my upgrade. All I need really is more experience. It's something to shoot for. That or if the Tour of 10,000 Lakes is back on, perhaps I'll bag it until then and cat up afterwards. It is certainly a lot to think about.

And I want to go pro, seriously, hopefully by my junior year at Olaf.

That and I'm considering doing my first mountain bike race after the state crit, one of the WORS races, haha I just have to find a bike.

Cheers

1 comment:

Big Mike said...

Hey Brandon, drop me a line.

klapp64@yahoo.com

Thanks, Mike Klapperich