Saturday, November 18, 2006

Red Trucks

So sean and were almost hit by a red truck today.

A good example:


We also rode for 4 hours and 20 from Nfield to Cannon City, Nerstrand, Wanamingo, past Cannon Falls, through Cannon Falls, Randolph, and then home. The day started out from Mike's Bikes, with the Bill and Dave from the Nfld Bike Club as well as Finn. We started off going south despite a northwest wind. Sean was late and ended up getting motorpaced out to us by Ben on his way to Milltown Cycles. Pace was moderate, it was base. Bill sprinted for the Nerstrand Sign and then doubled back. he got Sean, Finn, and I. I though I'd lead out for the stop-ahead sign and then just burned up the legs. oh well. Sean and I rolled on 246, through the back part of the conference course and then north on 1. After turning back on 25, we heard the squeal of locked up tires on pavement. Then an old red dodge truck with three men wearing an assortment of blaze orange drove angrily past. They glowered at us. Cheekily, I gave them the bird for a good 15 to twenty seconds which prompted another squeal of rubber. Two of the them got out and started using the f-word at us. Rude. Sean rolled up to me on the phone with the police immediately and they drove off in a off. Phew. Hopefully they got picked up for road rage...

From that point on, every red truck we saw was a nervous experience. Sean didn't pee on two successive attempts just because of it. At least our sympathetic nerve systems had kicked in and our legs both felt great after the encounter.


Just before getting onto Northfield Blvd., I sprinted/spun out for the stop ahead sign and then Sean just dropped me hard after we turned onto the road. I had no response and let him go. I was more than a little fatigued, so I took a good 1/2 hour cool down.

The man who put 5 minutes into me:



A good, epic ride. Then ate, napped, ate and like a wild college student, am going to embark on upon one or two or maybe three different papers tonight.

ciao

No comments: