Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Weekend Review and New Record

Managed to get in 7 or so hours of bike time in over the weekend and an "hour" ski, most of which was spent jawing as the tracked trails were just a little too gravelly for Finn, Peter, Nolan, and I. Monday was an off-day and just took it easy, the somewhat habitual 20min wakeup spin. Tuesday I spent 4.5 hours on the trainer, with two 5 min LT intervals. other than that all my trainer time is endurance pace. I really don't mind doing hours of endurance pace, it's what I need the most work on anyway. Tonight was only another half-hour spin, tomorrow hopefully will be another epic session as I don't have class Tuesday or Thursday. For the weekend it'll be 3 hours Friday, maybe Saturday and an epic Sunday, monday off.

Classes are going well, today I learned how ordinary people can torture other people, both method and transformation for my social psych class. It's a solid class, where we'll study the principles of social psych and apply them to the events at Abu Grhaib prison a few years ago. My great-books prof ok'ed my trip to AK and it's one of the greatest motivators to continue to ride the trainer.

In fact, last year I was so new and did not keep any training records, I feel so much fitter this year coming into the season. I have definitely put in way more endurance work (since I know what I'm doing for the most part this year) and have a year of racing under my belt. My only early-season goal so far is Hillsboro-Roubaix and some consistent collegiate results. I don't plan on having any major peaks this year, if it happens, it happens: my superweek peak fell into my lap last year. Hot Dog, Hillsboro-Roubaix sounds like one of the coolest races I have ever seen, 22 mile loop, 3 laps for cat 3's, 1.5 miles of paved brick roads, then shoddy, winding forest roads with short power climbs, and open flat roads through cornfields, sounds perfect.

My weight is also great, I'm hovering at 182-3 which is really only a pound or so away from my post-superweek weight I maintained (riding at 178 during superweek). I'd like to get down to 178 eventually, but it'll have to come from my upperbody, like arms.

This post has gotten long enough

ciao

1 comment:

Mike Mandli said...

Hello: You are doing some mega hours. With the right amount of rest and recovery you will just get stronger and stronger. I have just started spinning, two hours today. The Birkiebeinber is next weekend and I will hang up my skis for good after that.

I am looking forward to Arkansas, but I am afraid I will be off the back most of the time. Please show a little mercy.

Talk at you soon. Mike