Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Intervals with Krueg

2 hours out to Cannon City and over to Nerstrand. We toiled out, somehow staying in our big rings a majority of the way. rested on Nerstrand Blvd, and then flew back to town in gears no smaller that 53-16, well except for the steepest kick towards the very end. At one point we were almost spinning out our 12's.

As advised, got in some good interval work today, no specific numbers, but some extended segments, somewhere in the 8-15 minute range. Heart rate was a little high, but I had just eaten some popcorn just before the ride and I think I'm a little unnerved by the coming race weekend, and the two papers I have to write, one of which I'll be starting on shortly.

Weather: it was well crumby in the best way. I actually love riding in the wet and the grit, when your legs are sand-covered and your bike is too. Your face comes back flecked with mud and you don't use your glasses anymore. Rims are black from the wet and the used brake pad residue. These are my favorite conditions, usually because they cause everyone else to suffer more than usual.

And speaking of suffering, I think that it is my favorite part of bike racing and bike riding. Not in a sadistic way, but just when you can go on suffering more than the other guy. It's the most rewarding to drop someone during an intense effort, or hold them off after an attack. What a struggle.

No comments: