Monday, April 30, 2007

Tautologically, ...

Saturday Race Report: If I wasn't dropped, I was going to be there, a tautology. Sure enough, that's how it played out. Advertised at 60 miles, turned out to be 75. Sean put in a pretty good attack. 2 pee breaks (unheard of). However, it was a little discouraging: we actually stopped racing hard. or racing at all for quite some time. After the elite front group of 12 or so of us was established we apparently thought that no one would get away from our little collective. Some were just strong enough to hang on but there was no impetus to get the strongest racing. Props again to Sean for at least making the race interesting for 10 miles on the third lap. Maybe the heat was a factor but until the final 2-3 miles we were on a training ride.

Sunday: Same story. 30 minutes into a 70 minute crit we had our front 9 and no one was going anywhere. Last year Brad Johnson from UMN pulled out half-way through and went on a 3 hr training ride unbeknownst to anyone else because the race wasn't "hard enough." I was tempted to do the same. Unlike the first race, I stacked it up in the final turn. My race went to hell just before it though as Jason Knight (KU) and I were bumping shoulders for position as Smelser surged before the turn. We both (?) went wide out itno the cones. I cut back in near Crosby and carried too much speed into the final corner. Lost the front wheel. Oh well. I've got some road rash and no pictures yet as Finn still has my camera. As we all say, that's racing. No one else was injured. Maybe some sprints were thrown off, whatever.

It is fairly apparent that I am discouraged/unethused with collegiate racing at this point. But, my mom is coming down to Nat'ls with my brother in two weeks which will be nice. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing them again, even though summer is quite close. Emma is asking me I am almost done so I guess I am. Wait, Emma gets "shy muscles" when she is watched trying to open any can, she's pretty funny about things like that. I like it.

Ciao

Oh yeah, we got our new kits this afternoon. they are sweet. pics to come. pics to come as well of a certain musette bag hand-off.

No comments: